Crisis Assistance Available for Those in Need

Crisis Assistance is available year-round to any income-eligible applicant.


Idaho provides Crisis Assistance benefits to any household that is income-eligible, 60% of the State Median Income based on 30 days of eligible income*, and:

  • Has a bill with arrearages;
  • A past due bill;
  • Has less than 48 hours of bulk fuel; or
  • Has had their utility service disconnected.

The maximum crisis benefit* authorized without Idaho Department of Health and Welfare (IDHW) approval is $750. If a participant requires a benefit of more than $750, the agency must receive approval from IDHW via the Crisis Request Over $750 Form.

*The maximum Crisis benefit allowable is $3,500.00

Allowable Crisis Expenditures:

  • Bill Assistance
  • Disconnection/Reconnection Fees
  • Utility Poles/Gas line Hookups*
  • Heating System Repairs
  • Heating System Replacements*
  • Cooling System Repairs
  • Cooling System Replacement*
  • Wood Stove Purchase*
  • Pellet Stove Purchase*

* Requires prior approval from IDHW


60% of the State Median Income (FY2023 - FY2024)
Family SizeAnnual Income LimitMonthly Income Limit3-Month Income Limit
150% of the Poverty Income Guidelines
Each Additional Member$7,710.00$642.50$1,927.50

intermountain gas low income energy assistance

Need a helping hand with your heating bills?

The?Low Income Heating Assistance Program?(LIHEAP) is a federally funded program that provides a one-time (per program year) benefit to assist with heating costs. LIHEAP?helps eligible low-income families pay a portion of the costs for heating their homes in Idaho’s winter months. Energy conservation education is also available.

The?Weatherization Assistance Program?(WAP) helps eligible low-income families conserve energy, save money, and improve living conditions by repairing or replacing heat sources (heaters, furnaces, etc.), installing insulation, weather stripping, and caulking around windows and doors.

More information about these programs is available on the?Idaho Health and Welfare website.

intermountain gas low income energy assistance

Other Assistance Programs

Because of an unforeseen family emergency or financial hardship, some people have difficulty paying their heating bills and may be eligible for assistance through one of the?Heating Assistance Programs.

Project Share?and?Project Warmth?are community programs that may be able to assist you. Also, if you live in the Treasure Valley, the?Keep Kids Warm?fund is available to assist with heating costs for low-income families with children. If you would like to make a one-time contribution or an automatic monthly pledge amount to any of these programs, please complete the?Pledge Card?and return it with your natural gas payment or mail to:?P.O. Box 7608; Boise, ID 83707-1608.

Search and connect to support through Financial assistance, food pantries, medical care, and other free or reduced-cost help is available.

Dial 2-1-1

211 works a bit like 911.? Calls to 211 are routed by the local telephone company to a local or regional calling center.? The 211 center’s referral specialists receive requests from callers, access databases of resources available from private and public health and human service agencies, match the callers’ needs to available resources, and link or refer them directly to an agency or organization that can help.

Types of Referrals Offered by 211?

  • Basic Human Needs Resources?– including food and clothing banks, shelters, rent assistance, and utility assistance.
  • Physical and Mental Health Resources?– including health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health resources, health insurance programs for children, medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, and drug and alcohol intervention and rehabilitation.
  • Work Support?– including financial assistance, job training, transportation assistance and education programs.
  • Access to Services in Non-English Languages?– including language translation and interpretation services to help non-English-speaking people find public resources (Foreign language services vary by location.)
  • Support for Older Americans and Persons with Disabilities?– including adult day care, community meals, respite care, home health care, transportation and homemaker services.
  • Children, Youth and Family Support?– including child care, after-school programs, educational programs for low-income families, family resource centers, summer camps and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring and protective services.
  • Suicide Prevention?– referral to suicide prevention help organizations.